If you’re considering installing an asphalt driveway, you may wonder about the sealcoating process and how long you’ll have to wait before parking. In this blog post, we’ll answer all your questions about asphalt sealing driveway and when you can park on it afterward.
What is Asphalt
Asphalt is a black, sticky substance made up of bitumen and aggregates. It’s commonly used to pave roads and driveways because it’s durable and long-lasting.
The Benefits of Sealed Asphalt Driveways
Many homeowners choose asphalt driveways as their preferred option because they offer a number of benefits, including:
Durability– Asphalt driveways are durable and can last many years with proper care and maintenance.
Affordability – Asphalt is a more budget-friendly option compared to concrete or stone
Ease of installation – Asphalt may be easily and quickly installed
Low maintenance – Asphalt driveways don’t require a lot of upkeep and are very easy to clean
How to Seal an Asphalt Driveway
Sealcoating asphalt driveway is a straightforward process. You’ll need to purchase a sealing product from your local home improvement store and a brush or roller for applying the asphalt sealer. Once you have your materials, follow these steps:
1. Clean the driveway – sweep away any dirt, debris, or leaves. You can also use a hose to wash away any loose materials.
2. Fill any cracks or holes – using a sealant product, fill in any cracks or holes in the asphalt. It will prevent water from seeping in and causing further damage.
3. Apply the sealer – using a brush or roller, evenly apply sealcoating to the entire driveway. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for drying times.
Asphalt Sealing a Driveway: To DIY or to hire a professional
Applying a sealer to your asphalt driveway is a simple and relatively inexpensive DIY project. However, if you’re not confident in your ability to do the job correctly, it’s always best to hire a professional. A professional paving contractor will have the experience and knowledge necessary to ensure that the job is done right.
When Can I Park on My Asphalt Driveway After Sealing
You can typically park on your asphalt driveway after it’s been sealed within 24 hours. However, waiting 48 hours before parking or driving on the surface is best. It will give the sealant time to dry and cure properly. For optimal results, wait at least 72 hours before using your driveway.
Once dry, your driveway will be protected from the elements and much easier to keep clean. There’s no harm in waiting a few extra days to use your driveway, and you’ll be rewarded with a long-lasting, durable surface.
Avoid Damaging the Newly Sealed Driveway
You may take a few precautions to protect your freshly sealed driveway, including:
1. Avoid parking in the same spot – try to park in different spots each time to prevent the weight of your car from being concentrated in one area.
2. Don’t drive on it when it’s wet – if there’s any chance that the sealer is still wet, don’t drive on it.
3. Don’t let anything drag across the surface – things like lawnmowers, bicycles, and toys can drag dirt and debris across the driveway’s surface, damaging the sealer.
4. Keep an eye on the weather – if you know that bad weather is coming, try to avoid driving on the driveway or parking in a garage or carport.
5. Be careful when using chemicals – some household cleaners and chemicals can damage the sealer. If you need to use them, be sure to spot test first.
These simple tips can help your newly sealed driveway last for many years.
Hiring a Professional Paving Contractor
An asphalt driveway may be the perfect choice if you’re looking for a durable, affordable, and easy-to-maintain driveway. And sealing your driveway will help prolong its lifespan.
If you’re ready to install an asphalt driveway or need your existing driveway resealed, contact A1 Construction Services. We specialize in asphalt and can help you get the perfect driveway for your home.
A1 Construction Services is a leading asphalt contractor in Houston, Texas, with over 25 years of experience. We offer various services, including asphalt paving installation, seal coating, and striping. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.